Thursday, July 10, 2008

News.

I live in Washington, DC. Been here for almost five years. Worked on Capitol Hill for three years and then in the private sector for two. Since the largest industry in this city is the federal government, being apprised of the latest political and newsworthy happenings is a "necessity" not an option. I put necessity in quotation marks because I don't actually believe its a necessity in the same way that I believe water, shelter and a good bowl of Texas queso are necessities, I just mean its a necessity because if you want to be a contributing member of any cocktail conversation in a 25 mile radius, you need to know whats up.

In this blackberry obsessed city, you can literally drive yourself insane (and I know many people who do) trying to keep with the weekly, daily, hourly press coverage of presidential politics. Come November, I will have been in DC during two very memorable, very historical presidential elections. Additionally, I was a sorority sister with Jenna Bush Hager during her dad's 2000 bid for president and then lived with her in the Theta house at UT two years later. I guess I just feel like I have been around politics in some proximity for awhile now.

I digress.

The Druge Report.

Have you heard of it? Its the go-to news source that my husband and I depend on. I literally keep it up on my computer screen all day long and it automatically refreshes itself when new-news is posted. I will admit that it is slightly right leaning in its political persuasion, but Matt Drudge and his team posts links to all kinds of news found on a host of news sources. It posts coverage on everything from the presidential race to foreign affairs, movie reviews and pop culture.

Today, the Washington Post posted an article about the Drudge report and it's founder Matt Drudge's HUGE influence on political coverage. Check it out.

No comments: